Thursday, November 9, 2023

The Passion of the Pee Wee

  

The Lord moves in mysterious ways.

"The Passion of the Christ" is included with Amazon Prime. 

As the credits rolled, I experienced a moment remarkably similar to one ten years ago when I watched Jesus of Nazareth on YouTube.





Given the trajectory of Gibson's filmography, I avoided watching Passion of the Christ because I felt like a 20-minute torture scene was tantamount to making a snuff film about Jesus.

Looking back, I believe Mel Gibson is likely sincere and the treatment is consistent with the in-your-face Catholic way. Despite skipping through a lot of the gore, I got the point. Some things are better left unseen. But, I'll be interested in the upcoming Resurrection film and his depiction of the descent into Hell. Given the onslaught of utter depravity between reality TV and our culture's long obsession with zombies, I hope Mel takes the gloves off and dives into The Rapture to absolute bejeezus out of everyone.