Thursday, March 30, 2023

Visual search use case: Google Lens solves product inquiry

 

Here's a follow up to my previous post about finally finding a visual search engine after years of having the idea myself.

Today, I saw an ad for pants and wondered what kind of shoes the model is wearing.

I clicked the image in the ad, went to the product page, and right-clicked for options.

I searched the image with Google, and Google Lens appeared on the right of the screen.

I then isolated the section of the image with the shoes and results appeared in the lower pane, displaying visual matches for the shoes, which link to the product page containing the image.

The image results pulled images from products on sites that carry the product and not the official product site, but I still got the outcome I wanted.