Friday, August 13, 2021

Improve sleep by cutting and using light intentionally


I've considered not using any electronic devices for 30 min. pre-sleep, but never really practice it. Hard to do, but a good idea. I read an article that swore by it and decided to commit to the practice to see if it works. It apparently takes a week to make the change. 

Going forward, I'll likely use the blue light-blocking glasses at sundown if I'm on a computer or phone, rather than waiting until 30 min. prior to sleep, because it's probably the most natural way to allow for normal melatonin patterns to emerge. The alternative is to use blue light-cutting protectors, and I also found light therapy glasses for waking up.

I do find that looking at my phone first thing wakes me up. My problem is really staying asleep, but I think setting a strong signal upon waking up will help.

I'm trying two products for cutting light, and the one for waking up / correcting circadian rhythms and promoting energy.

Blue light filtering clip ons
Cut blue light at night - wear these when the sun goes down if using computer/phone at night:



Amber blue light filtering glasses
Fits over prescription glasses. I've had these before but never used them:



Light therapy glasses - $200
I considered trying light therapy before but light boxes are expensive and impractical. The light is a combination of white light infused with blue light.

Use upon waking; can use with prescription glasses, 20-60 minutes daily. Suggested noticeable improvement in energy ranging from a week to four weeks.

Many academic articles supporting light therapy (and combined with dark therapy) for correcting circadian rhythms, improving mood and libido, reducing food cravings, etc.





Other considerations for sleep improvement

Temperature: Set temperature to cool before bed - I prefer 73-74 degrees.

White noise: Find a white noise option without music and loop it on phone or tablet. I plug my iPad into logitech speakers beside my bed.

I use two tracks from Amazon music, also available from most streaming music services, combined in a looping playlist. 

Over time, I adjusted the volume for maximum effect, starting with what felt right, then actually increasing for effect, then reducing slightly:



There are also series for wakefulness and learning. I have a compilation of gamma waves that are good for working from 'Complete Brainwave Therapy System'. Read to learn about how various waves are used and find the ones that serve your purpose.