Monday, December 24, 2018

VIRACOCHA, THE SUPREME BEING - Inca God - estela de raimondi


“Dios de las Varas” del templo principal de Chavín, monolito

"God of the Rods" of the main temple of Chavín, monolith

VIRACOCHA, THE SUPREME BEING

https://reydekish.com/2015/03/10/viracocha-el-ser-supremo/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viracocha

--

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raimondi_Stele

estela de raimondi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raimondi_Stele









When I was in Peru, I went to a tattoo shop in Cusco, just thought it would be cool to see their tattoos and particularly loving the Inca iconography, starting thinking about the possibility of a tattoo which of course I've never considered and typically lampoon those who get tattoos a lot, which would seem to make me a total hypocrite, which is part of the fun. To do something I typically hate, because I like it enough to do something outside of my norm.

I do like tattoo art, and I've seen some really cool tattoos and some people who it adds character. I think its the trendiness that gets on my nerves, considering it used to be only military and bikers until the early 90s, and the idea of projecting an image. And the permanence of it really goes against my nature.

The artwork at this studio was great and the idea of getting one by a native tattoo artist as part of the experience intrigued me, though I wasn't sure if I might regret it. 

I told the guy behind the counter what I was thinking and he had a cool book of Inca iconography, and he suggested a particular image, which was great. I loved it, and was thinking to put it on my left forearm underside. They didn't have time, so I didn't get it which was probably best, but since then I've thought about it often as part of my experience there and I look at the image a lot. 

If I got it at all, I'd much rather have gotten it there. The idea of getting it afterwards feels very contrived, but I love the image and I think of it sometimes when I have the need to feel cool, which is a lot now that I'm unemployed and living in an apartment I can't afford. Especially if it were applied by some hipster tattoo artist named Ryan who graduated from SCAD in 2006 and is ten years younger than me.

I pulled up the image in photoshop and played with cropping it at different levels that would make it fit better and make the face of the figure large enough to make a good tattoo (above). Of course the original image is the tall one, far right. The problem is that it's just too tall. Even at the smallest size it's still probably too wide and would have to wrap around so I'm not sure it would work at all. 

Very unlikely I'll ever do it, but there's a fun factor thinking of it. I'm sure it's a bad idea and will probably remain the experience of having considered it but not doing it, which is even more fun because i know it's something I'd never otherwise do. Had the artist been available I'm afraid I would have done it, and maybe I'd realize then that it doesn't fit and then I'd regret it.