Friday, December 1, 2017

Samuel Jackson waiting in line for a sandwich

Last night around 8:15, I was on my way to check out at Publix and noticed a tall black guy wearing a funky camouflage outfit, standing in line for a sandwich at the deli.

I walked up and commented enthusiastically how the pattern was reminiscent of the old G.I. Joe toys from the 70s, and as I looked up, the man had pulled off his earphones to receive my comment and was peering back through stylish tan tortoiseshell glasses, chiseled face, baseball hat. Studying his features, I paused for a few moments and then remarked astutely, "Oh, you look like what's-his-face..."  coming to the disconcerting realization that I was very likely, and then most certainly speaking face-to-face with Samuel Jackson. Smiling, he replied, "Yeah, I do look like him."  Yeah, like what's-his-face. Way to go, me.

The guy was a good couple of inches taller than me and I'm 6'1", I had no idea he was so tall, quite a presence and so completely caught me off guard. At that point, I didn't want to draw more attention to him and said flatly, "Oh, sorry, man...good to see you!" nodded politely and headed for the checkout.

When I reached the checkout aisle, the guy in front of me greeted my wide eyed shit-eating grin with the remark, "I didn't know he was such an asshole." I replied, "I'm the asshole! What happened to you?" He said when he asked for Jackson's photo that the response was "What if I ask for your photo?"

By contrast, my experience was totally delightful. I can imagine he's used to it but he seemed amused by my total oblivious bumbling into ambush. Guess that G.I. Joe camo works after all. I'm at that Publix almost daily and you just don't expect to run into Jules in the deli line.