Sunday, April 20, 2014

A forgotten song



I've been trying to find this song for a long freakin' time. I was a junior/senior in high school, riding around with my crazy friend in his mom's Pulsar NX. The song is from her debut album, 1989.

I liked the synth bass line, probably more because it so suited the mood of the situation during which I heard it. All I remembered to search by was the dude in the background (apparently Dr. Dre, who was her boyfriend at the time, and he also produced her album) saying 'push it on me girl, you're all I think about, you're special.' More about Michel'le here.

It's the kind of music I would never listen to, but he played a different radio station than what I listened to, and it was his car, which granted a degree of license and made it fun. His driving was completely nuts and he loved driving and playing this crap, and sometimes he antagonized other drivers or passers-by. On more than one occasion they gave chase, sometimes to a worrisome degree.

The car was red like this one below (random photo from the web) - not really all that fast, but nimble, and my buddy loved to wear out the emergency break stunt driving. He would turn the windshield sprayers sideways and ride through the Kroger parking lot blasting other cars. Or, if anyone got too close to our tail he'd hit the breaks and make them furious. Otherwise, we hopped Waffle Houses and tricked the buck-toothed lady at Del Taco into saying 'Chicken Chimichanga' for a laugh because that was all there was to do at age 17.