Thursday, February 7, 2013

gmail chat problems


Here's a screen shot of something that appeared on my gmail chat screen this morning.

I am not on Google plus, though Google makes me look as though I'm inviting people to join me on a Google Plus 'Hang Out' when I ask them to video chat, which is embarrassing because it writes the message on my behalf - all I want is to video chat, not get them to join anything - and people have written back as though they believe I wrote the message.

The message in the screenshot is the same kind of phenomenon I used to see appearing in Facebook chat - one of the main reasons I left Facebook - so many creeping vulnerabilities, lurking about, phishing scams, etc. Email is supposed to be a personal space, not a social network. If they blur the lines too much, I'm inclined to use private email.