Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Naked Eyes - Promises, Promises


I recalled the song 'Promises, Promises' after mulling over the question of whether to use the phrase 'getting started' vs. 'quick start' for a help screen. I voted 'quick start' because it suggests immediate help whereas 'getting started' suggests promises you may eventually get to after expending energy going through tutorials.

I awoke at 2:30 or 3 in the morning with these thoughts and sent this email response:

"Users will reach to launchpad in their periphery - 'quick start' might be more direct and less demanding, whereas 'getting started' is passive (future passive) and feels like a request to invest time in learning / reading in order to get to results.

If my hair was on fire I might prefer 'quick start' vs. 'getting started' - evocative of 'now' vs. 'eventually'."

...then I thought of this song - how these things stay with us - I didn't even know who the band was, though I know one of their other hits (but didn't know that both songs were by the same band).

They apparently had four hits and then disbanded by choice. One of the musicians died at age 42 following colon surgery:

Promises, Promises


 What In the Name of Love


When the Lights Go Out


Always Something There


Naked Eyes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_Eyes