Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Latest Douche Bags of Recycled Music

Not long ago I heard a "heavy?" cover of 'Land of Confusion' by Phil Collins and I thought 'What the...and why?' I actually like Genesis and Phil Collins has his solo moments, plus he helps me to relax when they're buffing my incisors. But, Land of Confusion wasn't the strongest song he ever made and in combination with the bizarre political puppets from Spitting Image I prefer to wash it from my memory along with Don Johnson's pink linen jacket. I'll just stick to Paperlate.

But no, here comes Land of Confusion once again, only this time I have to hear it unconvincingly shrieked by a band called 'Disturbed'. Hmmm...how about a band who imitates Metallica covering Phil Collins? That not just necrophilia, surely that must be inbred necrofilial cannibalism. Hey, maybe that's the name of the next album by 'Disturbed'.

I must admit, I liked Van Halen's version of 'Pretty Woman' and later learned about Roy Orbison, so perhaps I was just as much of an oblivious and eager consumer.

Regardless, last week I was flipping through the radio while driving down 316 and, I shit you not, along comes the new fangled version of 'Careless Whisper' by a band called Seether.

George Michael, you sure as hell DID dance again, only this time in a much more butch fashion by these douche bags who know that they can rip it off and then sell it to kids who don't know any better. If I may digress for just a moment, this is gayer than gay. At least George made his own music and had the balls to sing it in his own way.

Since the youtube clip for Seether's version is just a place holder graphic, I had to look at another Seether video just to see what these people look like. It's the same flawed rationale as leering to see the face of a bad driver when someone does something dumb or annoying in traffic, hoping that the face and the actions match. And, no disappointments here. Seether, it looks like the teacher kept you in detention for about twenty years too long. These are the bands who make the music for our recruiting ads, seriously. Same target market.

Visit the infamous "Hall of Douchebags" at rockandrollconfidential.com