Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cirque du Soleil "Kooza", Ringling Bros. 2009 Review

Just saw Kooza yesterday back to back with Ringling Bros. My opinions:

Ringling Bros.

I've seen Ringling Bros. maybe three times in my life. I recall seeing a 3-ring show in the past and having a hard time deciding where to look because of so much amazing stuff going on at once. I also recall really high trapeze.

This show was overall a big disappointment. Mostly underwhelming acts and esthetically incoherent while visibly groping for strategies to sell itself. Admittedly, I missed the first 30 minutes which I was told included a dog act and clowns which I soon learned were numerous but NOT FUNNY. Upon arrival, there were horses running around the ring with riders doing dismounts/tricks which was brief but actually pretty good. Then, shetland ponies with goats standing on their backs which was odd enough, though I could do without the 'My Little Pony' theme music. The ringmaster sounded like a disc jockey and did a lot of bad singing and stilted talking while in a contest with a clown over who would introduce the best acts. The clown had some character, but his entourage of clowns were totally pointless. Lots of people in the show, none of them looking very enthused; overall just filler and little action.

The one act worth seeing was a spherical cage containing 7 motorcycles riding in formations - I saw a similar act featuring only 2 bikes long ago - very impressive, no doubt. Other acts included 7 tigers on prozac made to stand on their hind legs, and elephants doing some walking and formations. The mid-level flying trapeze was not bad but not astounding, and one guy did a high-up climbing act which was pretty good. At one point, there were 4 features at once including a contortionist, two guys doing body balance formations identical to the Cirque act couple from days past, a woman doing some kind of pole balance and another I don't recall.

I think the staging of this whole thing was just very scattered and contrived. The live band which was under amplified and worked too hard to persuade you that something was amazing. I have to admit that my past trips to see Cirque du Soleil have probably jaded my impression - their shows are more intimate and focused, but seriously, something was really missing from this circus and you walk away feeling like you just saw the Howdy Doody Show, just a bunch of singing and dancing and big groups of people waving half-heartedly.

So, feeling very disappointed, went two exits up 85 and got tickets with a slightly obstructed view at Kooza, just 45 minutes before the next show. One dollar less than Ringling Bros. and beyond compare.

Kooza

No spoilers about Kooza; however, I will say it is the best Cirque du Soleil I've seen so far (this was my fourth or fifth show, I believe - I also saw Quidam, Dralion, and Corteo). Every act delivered absolutely astounding and unimaginable feats of super human ability. This show is in your face with the goods and never overdoes the artistic element to overwhelm the show with unwanted emotion or filler. Having said that, the music is fantastic and prominently featured, the costumes, staging and esthetics perfectly balanced and brilliant. The show was written and directed by David Shiner, a former Cirque clown and actor - adult-oriented clown characters and humor throughout the show.

The show runs through March. The obstructed view seating was very acceptable for the price of $36 - we were on the end seats, so for a few acts, we got up and stood on the ramp to the left of us to afford a better view, no problem. Naturally, If possible, I would of course have preferred getting something in the center in order to see the band set up. But, I would urge anyone on a budget who really wants to see this show to grab the obstructed view with an end seat without hesitation. There really are no bad seats in this relatively small tent, and the superior design of this show ensures satisfaction.